getfem-users

[Getfem-users] Boundary info for gmsh meshes

From: Roman Putanowicz
Subject: [Getfem-users] Boundary info for gmsh meshes
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:42:23 +0100

Hi,

I would like to ask about importing boundary information
from gmsh meshes. In GetFEM++ documentation it stays that:

"gmsh" for meshes generated by GMSH http://www.geuz.org/gmsh/ IMPORTANT NOTE:
if you do not assign a physical surface/volume to your 3D mesh, the file will
also contain the mesh of the boundary (2D elements) and the boundary of the
boundary (line elements!). getfem makes use of the physical "region" number
stored with each element in the gmsh file to fill the corresponding region of
the mesh object.

I understand the above passage in such way that Getfem will create and
fill repsective regions.

Unfortunately when trying to import 2D gmsh mesh getfem neglects information
about boundary elements and creates a mesh without any region (despite the
fact that mesh contains boundary elements).

Now the question is -- do I missiterpret the documentation or do I do
something wrong or GetFEM works in a slightly different way (I am using
GetFEM 2.0)

Of course I will look at the source code but the same way I would like
to ask what are your ways to convenintly import meshes with boundary
informations -- what generators and formats are you using, did you write any
custom parsers, etc?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Roman

--
Roman Putanowicz  < address@hidden  >
Institute for Computational Civil Engng (L-5)