getfem-users

[Getfem-users] boundary conditions on nodes

From: Julien Sylvestre
Subject: [Getfem-users] boundary conditions on nodes
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 20:27:26 -0500

Hello,
I am trying to impose a fixed value to the z-component of displacement in a linear elastic problem, on a specific node, leaving the x- and y-components untouched. The only thing I'm currently able to do is something like

mfu = getfem.MeshFem(mesh, 3)
lower_boundary = 1+len(mesh.regions())
mesh.set_region(lower_boundary, fbot) # fbot is a list of element ids

b3 = getfem.MdBrick('dirichlet', b2, lower_boundary, mfu, 'penalized')

This doesn't do what I want:
1. I need to set the boundary condition only on one component of the displacement field (i.e., z, and not x or y) 2. I need to set the boundary condition only on one node; I couldn't find a way to create a region on a single node. Best I can do is to create a region on one element. 3. I want a fixed value for the specified component of the displacement field which is not zero, but rather some other arbitrary (fixed) number.

I was unable to get the information in a format I could understand from the documentation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
JS