getfem-users

Re: [Getfem-users] Periodic BC

From: Yves Renard
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] Periodic BC
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 11:02:32 +0200

On mercredi 15 septembre 2010, Artur A. Poźniak wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I would like to impose periodic BC to my linear elastic system (2D). I need
> the *derivative* of one component of the displacement field to be equal on
> respective edges, i.e. {u_y},x on left = {u_y},x on right. ,x denotes
> partial derivative along x and u_y is the y-component of the displacement
> vector u.
> I know that there is no brick responsible for this in GetFEM, so I kindly
> ask for some help. I would expect it to be done with the use of additional
> system of Lagrange multipliers. Is that correct?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Artur Pozniak

You are right, there is no specific brick to prescribe a periodic boundary
condition (this would be possible to build one).
You do not have to prescribe the equality of a derivative (or a stress in
elasticity), the continuity of the unknown is sufficient.
If the degrees of freedom correspond from a boundary to the other (in the case
of a regular mesh for instance) then you can easily bouild the constraint
matrix prescribing the eaqulity of these degrees of freedom (and add a
constraint brick). If the mesh is not the same, you have to prescribe the
equality in a weak form with a multiplier which is more difficult.

Yves.

--

  Yves Renard (address@hidden)       tel : (33) 04.72.43.87.08
  Pole de Mathematiques, INSA-Lyon             fax : (33) 04.72.43.85.29

---------