getfem-users

Re: [Getfem-users] GMM - orthonormals basis for range of matrix

From: Yves Renard
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] GMM - orthonormals basis for range of matrix
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 17:01:56 +0200

Dear P. Berger,

No, there is no specific function in Gmm to compute the orthonormal basis for the range of a matrix. (There is a function which is range_basis in gmm_range_basis.h but it is for large sparse matrices and this extract only a basis, it do not perform an orthogonalization).

The class in gmm_modified_gram_schmidt.h header is mainly used by gmres algorithm. It works on a dense matrix.
The function "orthogonalize" performs the ortogonalization of the vector number i, storing the scalar  products in a vector Hi. This means that before calling "orthogonalize" you need to fill the vectors V[i] of the object  modified_gram_schmidt. This is really adapted to the gmres algorithm. Probably, in your case, it is simpler to just copy the loop of the function orthogonalize than using the modified_gram_schmidt object.

Yves.