getfem-users

Re: [Getfem-users] Delaunay triangulation of level set cut mesh

From: Yves Renard
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] Delaunay triangulation of level set cut mesh
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 10:00:06 +0100

Dear Wen,

Yes, the mesh_level_set object performs most of the job : on each element cut by the crack, a certain number of intersection points are computed (the density of computed point depends on the curvature of the level set). Then Qhull is called to obtain a sub-mesh of the element conformal to the crack (or any set of level-sets). Some verifications are performed : if the obtained mesh is not conformal to the crack, more intersection points are computed.

Additionally, the sub_mesh is stored by the object mesh_level_set and can be extracted (cut_mesh() method). If there is a lot of cut elements, it can be a bit expensive in term of memory (but not so much in practice) but it is necessary for post-treatment : it allows  to interpolate the solution on a cut-mesh before drawing it.

Yves.