ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] Re: European GNU Hackers Meeting in Paris, 25-28 Aug.

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] Re: European GNU Hackers Meeting in Paris, 25-28 Aug. 2011
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 16:49:06 +0000

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Brian Gough <address@hidden> wrote:
> At Mon, 21 Feb 2011 22:31:37 +0000,
> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>
>> ideas, as recommended/advised by ludo:
>>
>> i'm concerned about the viability of the internet when governments are
>> not just threatening to cut off both web sites as well as their entire
>> country but are actually doing it, and corporations can attack free
>> software projects with the DMCA.
>
> Hi Luke.  In the Hague meting we had talks on GNUnet and its routing
> protocols - http://www.gnu.org/ghm/2010/denhaag/ has videos of the
> talks.

 fantastic city.  loved it there.

>  Maybe some of the GNUnet people will attend again.  Do you
> know if any of the people working on the projects you mention live
> in Paris or within a reasonable didstance?

 acch no, no idea.

 btw i do have to point out that some of the purposes of gnunet are
slightly at odds with e.g. babel or n2n.  the purpose of gnunet is to
hide identity, at the cost of speed and latency.  i can't imagine
running VoIP over gnunet, for example, and i would be very surprised -
pleasantly so - if gnunet scaled up to 10 million users.

 imagine for a moment that some ... twat in america _actually_ decided
to hit that "kill switch" that some equally insane twat(s) actually
allowed into law.

 with half the TLD root nodes gone, along with the entire .com DNS
services and with the BGP routing going nuts across the rest of the
world, what infrastructure would be needed so that anyone _with_ that
software would be able to "keep going"?

 then extend that scenario (USA gone from the Internet) out to a week,
or a month, or even indefinitely - would gnunet cope if it was
installed across 10 million or 100 million users?

 l.