ginger-dev-list

[Ginger-dev-list] [RFC] Networking use case for ginger host management

From: Jayavardhan Katta
Subject: [Ginger-dev-list] [RFC] Networking use case for ginger host management
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 19:38:14 +0530

Hi All,

Currently ginger plugin is dependent on libvirt module for its
networking management operations. This has to be replaced with iproute2
or ifup/ifdown commands or networkmanager.

Based on the investigation, we feel using ifup/ifdown commands and
configuring the ifcfg files in networking path is the better possible
solution.
Reasons:
=======
-->Given that network manager does not exists or we dont want user to
use NM forcefully.
-->ifup/ifdown scripts internally will use
        iproute if Network manager is not enabled.
        Networkmanager if it is enabled.
-->So rather than we manually execute iproute commands its better to
execute the wrapper scripts ifup/ifdown provided by distros. The input
ifup/ifdown needs is configuring a ifcfg file for an interface.

Networking use case

1)Creation of interface
        a)Create ifcfg file under /etc/sysconfig/networkscripts
           Sample ex :- Created ifcfg-enccw0.0.3b00.  Refer attachment
ifcfg-enccw0.0.3b00.
Here we have to consider architecture specific keys while defining
the config files.
        b)ifup enccw0.0.3b00

2)Deletion of interface
        a)ifdown enccw0.0.3b00
        b)delete the ifcfg file.

3)Creation of bond
        a)Create a ifcfg-bondX file
          Refer sample ifcfg-bond8
        b)Update the slave cfg files with below parameters
          MASTER=bondX
          SLAVE=yes
        c)ifup bondX

4)Deletion of bond
        a)ifdown bondX
        b)Remove the entries in the slave
          MASTER=bondX
          SLAVE=yes
        c)delete ifcfg-bondX file

Please let us know your suggestions/feedback with the above approach.