Re: [glob2-devel] Universe Background, political correctness

From: Matthew Marshall
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Universe Background, political correctness
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 18:56:15 -0300

On Mon 27 Feb 2006 13:48, Cyrille Dunant wrote:
> > Personally, I like how glob2's background story already is: absent.
> >
> > There is no explanation for why the trees are pink, how anyone could call
> > those circles 'wheat', or even what the globules, in fact, /are/.  This
> > is all left up to the player.  The player is free to explain (or not
> > explain) these phenomenons with their own imaginations.  One player sees
> > it as another dimension.  Another sees it as some alien lifeform.  Or,
> > perhaps a scientific experiment.  Or even bubblegum overrunning a candy
> > store.  Or perhaps the player simply accepts that it is, and thinks no
> > more of it.
>
> Perhaps this adds to the abstract nature of glob strategy...

Yes, I think so.

> > Glob2 seems to have a certain sense of 'wonder' around it.  Provide
> > 'official' answers to the questions, and you remove the wonder.  I think
> > this is why Slann's story doesn't "fit glob2's universe ambiance."  I
> > think this is why no story ever will.
>
> Well... Some story might, but it probably would be very bland...
> Happy-happy stories are bland :)

Ok, I'll give it a try:

In an unknown place, at an unknown time, of an unknown quantity, vague
entities, hitherto known by the alias of 'globules', carry out an ambiguous
existence.

This is their story ...
... their destiny ...
... their adaption ...
... their conformation ...
... their generation ...
... their emancipation ...
... their abstraction ...
... their oxidation ...
... their combination ...
... their nomination ...
... their abelianisation ...
... electrodesiccation ... flabellation ... fascination ... zillmerisation ...
* flash by at a rapid pace intentionally vague words ending with -ation*
... globulation ...

* fade in the the menu, leaving the player with the feeling that anything
might happen next*

MWM