Re: Re: [glob2-devel] Default flag settings cause World desyncs when pla

From: donkyhotay
Subject: Re: Re: [glob2-devel] Default flag settings cause World desyncs when playing on glob2
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 22:30:57 -0500 (CDT)

That makes no sense, the only thing changed WAS the gui. Before changeable flag
settings were added the default flag settings were determined by buildings.txt
(these settings are actually still in the file if you want to look, they just
aren't used by the game anymore). For awhile I played the game with a
customized buildings.txt file because I really hate having 1 unit being the
default for all flags. This was inconvenient so I modified settings.cpp to pull
the flag settings from preferences.txt instead of buildings.txt and allow users
to modify in game and save the changes to preferences.txt. The ability to
customize flag settings was already in the game I just made it easier to do.
I'm kind of busy for the next few days (out of town) but when I get home I'll
take a look at the code again and double check but I could have sworn when I
originally traced the default flag variables from the game GUI back to
buildings.txt that they weren't tied into anything else. I've never looked at
glob2's networking code so I don't know how it runs but the only thing I can
think of that would cause what I did to result in a network desync would be
when a flag is placed it only sends the data "war flag placed" and doesn't send
the default flag info assuming for some strange reason that the host will take
care of it. The host then uses it's default settings for the flag (which aren't
the same) and of course glitches out the game. One more thing I thought of the
other day. Alot of people are concerned about how to balance explorers at
endgame. I was thinking about giving explorers an ammo supply. First we would
need a new building (call it an aviary for now), that is only buildable when
you have a maxed out worker. This building would train explorers to level2
allowing them the ability to attack ground units (just like now). However once
at level2 each explorer only get a certain number of attacks (say 20 or so)
before reverting back to level1. At which point they will need to fly back to
the aviary and level up again. This would put a limit on mass explorer
bombardment but still allow people to use them to complement their ground
forces.