Re: [glob2-devel] mercurial switch

From: Kieran P
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] mercurial switch
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:57:41 +1200

So, if we moved development to your server Nct, by importing it into Mercurial somehow, then we could easily expand the options.

We wouldn't need to download the source, to do documentation and nightly source release. It would be a lot faster. Use a cron job at 12am every morning to checkout the source to a local folder, then build doxygen, then tar.bz2 that file, and move it to a folder for download.

And you have a really good setup. Development (latest source, including stuff from syncmaps and syncdata, AutoDocumenetion, and Auto Nightlies). Basically everything code related.

Savannah would still hold the bug tracker, mailing lists, and releases (but CVS would be closed to prevent people committing to there). Basically, everything game related.

And Kyles server would host the Wiki (community related).

Having these three things would relive bandwidth on the others.

So how about that setup?

(and I'm not sure Kai, but I think I saw Nct got a 1 terrabyte server, I might be wrong though)

On 4/17/07, Kai Antweiler <address@hidden> wrote:
>> You are right, this method is much better (I just found it):
>> http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/HgWebDirStepByStep
>
> Maybe we can integrate this with the forum/wiki user database. It would be
> very nice. We could then drop syncdata/syncmaps and have a fully unified
> development infrastructure.

How limited is your space?
When we decide to use mercurial the mercurial way we'll have
repositories == branches.  Each branch 8mb right now without maps and
data.  Maps = 10mb, data = "" mb.  There can be a lot of branches, if
we don't clean up.
Lets say 30 branches -> 900mb.

If we use different repositories for data, code and maps 300mb without
deleting old branches.  I generally would like to seperate different
areas of development into different repositories.  Most likely
different people work than on graphics.

If we use mercurial cvs way, branches would be stored more efficiently
(I think), but the repository would be untidy.

Of course we can mix.  Some branches as repositories and some
as branches.

By the way:
Today I failed again to get anything but the main branch into a
dSCM.  Also remarkable size of the CVS repository: 20mb
Size of the SVN repository: 50mb
--
Kai Antweiler