Re: [glob2-devel] Net Development Update

From: Kieran P
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Net Development Update
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 22:34:00 +1200

Most of the bugs in the system have been fixed, although Kieran gave me a list of remaining bugs to be fixed before considering the system complete.

Well, some are bugs, some are small essential features. The purpose of the rewrite is to allow new things to be added more easily. What good is that if nothing is added along the way ;)

Transfering maps, unfortenetly, is not yet done. We spent a couple hours testing it, and I made numerous patches getting it to work but without luck. The maps seem to be getting transferred endlessly, after the file runs out, it keeps sending 0 length messages. Its mainly a logic error in my state machine, a simple bug after I figure it out.

Which has now been fixed since Bradleys email. Files now transfer using gzip format (which was also implemented). There may be a need for a transfer progress bar if there isn't already though, for maps of say 1mb. You dont want a person starting the game before someone on dial up finishes the download.

Despite some of the minor bugs, i like to consider the new YOG solid.

Errr, not solid enough IMO. If someone leaves the game via forced quit or net disconnection, it crashes. No one can quit using the ingame quit menu button, and ingame chat is not working. But it is defiantly getting there. Should be able to have all these things sorted without a week or so.

The login screen is complete on the client end.

Aside from the fact that the entire passwords and registration systems have been removed for the time (I beleive you are currently reimplementing them?).

The main yog screen is almost complete, with one scrolling bug yet to be fixed.

Which again has been fixed since Bradleys email. There have been some new bugs come to life though, so it will be an ongoing effort to fix them all without making new ones :P

The pre-game screen has a few bugs but is working for the most part.

Just dont add over the maximum ammount of players allowed in the game. You can't remove them and a forced to allow them to play with a team flag.

And in game also has a few bugs, but is working for the most part.

Chat, quitting, freezing, a bit of lag, and no messages about whats going on (like if someone leaves).

As a whole though, the system is far better than Alpha 23. This, along with the new map engine, and any new features that are made will make a killer a24 (or 0.9.0?).

--
Kieran.P
http://qlwiki.linuxsolutions.co.nz/