Re: [glob2-devel] An intriguing offer from a small group of developers

From: donkyhotay
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] An intriguing offer from a small group of developers
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 09:36:42 -0700

I agree with steph on this, I don't voice my opinion on the direction
glob2 should go very often because I believe since the game is GPL that
if you want something done you can just do it yourself but since (to me)
this question involves possibly taking away this choice I wanted to put
in my $0.02. While I'm a very minor contributer and haven't done
anything in months, the reason I began contributing in the first place
is because I knew since the game was under GPL licensing that I could do
anything with it that I wanted. If we start accepting code that has
limitations to it (even if it's just show a small ad in the corner of
the website) we might lose people who choose not to contribute due to
concern over their ability to modify/redistribute the source code. I
think it is much more important for us to get our name out there on the
web to attract interested developers who believe in FOSS instead of
allying ourselves with a complete unknown. If they wish to help us they
will need to do so explicitly within the GPL and recieve the same credit
everyone else does. Also I looked at their site and they seem pretty new
and unorganized at this time. I somewhat wonder if they are truly
interested in helping us or if they are mostly looking for
advertisements from us. The only way I would (personally) even consider
something like this is if it was to be completely even (at the least
require them to link back to us).