Re: [glob2-devel] bugs in latest version

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] bugs in latest version
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 11:57:26 +0200

On Wednesday 04 July 2007 11:44:05 Kieran P wrote:
> Its one of those things that only happens on rare occasions. Afterall, no
> packages in the future will have the old maps. Any code from mercurial now
> pulls the new. Its only if you had an old copy of the code and synced
> files. It shouldn't happen again ;)

The reality is far more problematic than the ideal situation you are
presenting. For instance, players might have maps they have done themselves
stored locally (in .glob2/). In fact, I do not see how to update maps to new
format if they make glob2 crash.

Some time ago, I was skeptical of rewrites. Now they are done and I have no
intention to open the debate again. I just want to remind that doing a
rewrite is the sufficient to have the same feature-set, it is necessary to
ensure a smooth transition, even if it means writing unsexy compatibility
code.

Have a nice day,

http://stephane.magnenat.net