Re: [glob2-devel] Hello All

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Hello All
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 02:36:29 -0400

On 8/10/07, Tim Sprague <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

I am a Computer Science and Engineering graduate student at The Ohio
State University.  I'm looking forward to helping develop on this project.

Tim

Great Tim! I'll give you the get-started to do list that I've given everyone.

1) Get a copy of the Mercurial source, right now, both -r master and -r beta1-rc. The page "Mercurial" on the wiki will help
2) Get it compiling for you. We are now using the experimental scons, so the more systems we test on for this beta1 the better. Glob2 has quite a few of more annoying dependencies, in particular, boost_threads causes allot of people trouble. If it does, make a symlink libboost_threads.so on your system to the one of the other boost_threads libraries, since the problem is in the naming of them
3) Send a Mercurial password to Stephane,  "address@hidden", to get developer access. may want to now follow the developer instructions on the wiki page "Mercurial"
4) Join the website Savannah, and try to join the glob2 project on it. One of the admins like myself will accept you in.
5) Play the game a few times. go through the tutorial, get a feel for it. Right now, we are bug fixing the beta 1 release. I've fixed a great deal of the bugs, but there are still more, and a few that I keep forgetting about.
6) Join IRC if you can, irc.oftc.net#glob2, we can help you get started
7) Get a task! theres lots to do, we have a wishlist, we need new campaigns, the new YOG isn't complete yet, there are virtually no pre-game options like alliances or victory conditions. The developers such as myself can help you get your start in glob2 code.
8) Be persistent! Dozens of people seem to want to start working on glob2, few ever do, probably because it seems like too much work.

Other than that, thanks for your interest, welcome aboard.

--
Extra cheese comes at a cost. Bradley Arsenault.