[glob2-devel] sell CDs of glob2?

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: [glob2-devel] sell CDs of glob2?
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 23:43:42 +0100

hi *

since very recently ideas are roaming in my head about why not sell glob2 CDs with a nice booklet at supermarket chains.

What would it cost?
-If produced in masses price would drop to 1€/(CD + case + color-printed 10 page booklet) at max.

At how much would it sell?
-I'm pretty sure people would buy it at 5€ just from telling at what prices other CDs of small games nobody knows of are sold. Just imagine the entry screen on a CD cover how sympathetic it would be. Mothers would buy it ;)

Why would someone buy a foss game?
-Simply because people don't know of it. Many people don't have internet or don't use google much and are barely aware of such thing like foss. We will not reach them in other ways anyway!

Why would the supermarket pay someone to support this? They could just go and do it alone? -Such a marketing would pretty likely bring down our existing yog server within an hour from the first one joining. The community complaining about the supermarket would bring it bad reputation if the thing was not agreed upon from the developers side. The game would be in a buggy state as always (harg!). etc.

How could such a thing be made up?
(-A nice series of 3-5 open source games each sold on a separate CD would be the best, as then the case it is foss could maybe be communicated, the project could be announced in their paper spam easily and thus people would maybe start thinking a bit apart from just playing a cool game. Setting up a concept for support and dealing with legal stuff would also more easily pay off.) -Just a standalone CD of glob2 would sell the same amount of glob2 CDs I guess. It would require less agreements among the people involved. (-An Ubuntu-CD with 1000 games would cost just as much to produce. It simply would not target those 98% of Windows users that just want a game and not an ideology. In the end I guess it would even not sell as much as just the game.) (-A CD of glob2 + 20 other selected foss games would sell better. Here I see a serious risk the supermarket could do it without the communities. Gaming magazines had foss-games including glob2 on them earlier I guess.)

Who would profit from it?
-As said before, if the supermarket does it it will make money out of it and may or may not loose reputation and also in parts damage the game. Same with the people that actually do this project.

What are your plans?
-I would like to launch a test balloon in Germany (like maybe others would do in their countries). I would like to take the money for myself and dedicate my time to glob2 at full time. If more money is raised than I need in one year I would hire other developers to further boost glob2. All I would need before taking such steps is to get glob2 to a state yog can deal with 10.000 players at a time with a rock solid and fast game play. All the other features given would already justify the said 5€.

Ideas? Comments? Flames?

Greetings,

Leo Wandersleb