Re: [glob2-devel] struggling with valgrind

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] struggling with valgrind
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:49:43 -0400

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 6:49 PM, Leo Wandersleb <address@hidden> wrote:
hi list,

on my way to change the overlays from 4 triangles per alpha value, what means
sending 80 Bytes (*) per alpha value to the gpu to 1 alpha value per stored
value by using a generated bitmap i ran into troubles that look like valgrind
kind of troubles:

my overlays now disappear if i scroll the screen to a certain position (i guess
it is when i have the starting position in the lower right corner of my screen)
on the map. scrolled like that, it may or may not draw the overlays from time to
time. Also drawing of clouds and drawing of shadows seams not to be linked.

Secondly overlays now almost work in game but not at all in the menu.

Due to the significant performance boost i expect from the changes in
void GraphicContext::drawAlphaMap() i pushed to texturExperiments i hope that
someone can help me get this thing rolling for beat4.

running valgrind i ran into a message, Stephane has posted back in 2004 ;)
http://listas.apesol.org/pipermail/sdl-libsdl.org/2004-February/041212.html

I got rid of those by initializing
SDL_Event lastMouseMotion, windowEvent, event;
and then got them again. no idea. others use this exactly as we do and don't
mind those valgring messages it seams.

Thanx,

Leo Wandersleb

(*)
now used triangle fans:
one fan consisting of 4 triangles having 5 vertices per value=
 5 RGBA-values plus 5 3d-vertices per stored value=
(5 *4+              5*3*4)*           n=           80*n Bytes

before used triangle strips:
 2 RGBA-values plus 2 3d-vertices per stored value=
(2 *4+              2*3*4)*           n=           32*n Bytes

generated bitmap on one quad:
n alpha-values mapped on a quad plus a color
n+                         4*3*4+      3~=         1 *n Bytes

Your dissaparing overlays problem looks like you haven't coded wrapping correctly. If you think its a valgrind error, run it in valgrind. It should return errors inside your code.

--
Extra cheese comes at a cost. Bradley Arsenault.