Re: [glob2-devel] Revised Beta 4 Todo List

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Revised Beta 4 Todo List
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 00:43:52 +0200

How is the state of some of our bugs?

the internationalization-bugs:
Do we still have no Japanese font in sight? same applies for Chinese as i just tested. there are 1.000.000.000 people that will not be able to play our game because we don't have their font?
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?16391
assuming there are 1.000.000.000 people capable of speaking English https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?23989 leaves us with 5.000.000.000 people not being able to play because even a 90%-translation is rendered useless with completely gone texts not giving the slightest chance to guess what the text would be in their language. localization is a big issue. a very big one. almost all games do exist in English and maybe the language of the original authors. there are languages where glob2 would compete with a hand full of other games and not trillions like in English. i know from my work at a games company that competing in Arab or Turk is far easier than in English. please have a look at my tool at http://www.globulation2.org/translation/ . it only needs minor tweaks to be released. this will quickly get us many translations done. (i will provide both the automatic commit (not push) and the screenshots but would be very thankful if someone else would take the task.)
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?16393

the big-screen bugs:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?23428 looks like every glob gets drawn only once as the screen coordinate gets evaluated. here we will need a check if the screen wraps around the world and paint those globs at low coords twice or even 4 times (wrap in x and y). this has some nasty impacts on the code i guess but still it is no solution to keep it as is. maybe drawing all entities only once (clip to 64x64) would help to not confuse people. https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?23689 looks as if globs not getting drawn is not a wrapping around the world kind of problem. we need to investigate this. https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?23688 was commented with "sdl does not provide other resolutions". i guess in windowed mode sdl does not care about that. we must allow to play windowed

Greetings,

Leo Wandersleb