Re: [glob2-devel] Possible financing for Globulation

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Possible financing for Globulation
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:48:02 +0100

On 11/24/2010 11:20 AM, Stéphane Magnenat wrote:
> Hi Leo,
>
> Thank you for your answers and advices. I agree that the business
> model is the most critical part. I was thinking of developing the
> gameplay (maps, campaigns, maybe some improvements on the engine) of
> Glob2 around the theme of the environmental effects of human actions.
> This would allow a business model based on donations by large
> companies that are interested in promoting durable development in a
> technological context.

Hmm ... changing significant parts of the gameplay would mean a lot of
work. My list of key tasks to be done prior to gob2 becoming shippable
for a wide audience are enough work already and don't touch the game
physics at all.

> So the key element is to find donation by large companies and foundations.

The humble indie bundle also made more than 1 million $ by selling games
that they also offered for free but they connected the promise to make
the bundle open source while our game already is open source. Still I
guess with a good game *and* good promotion it should be possible to
make money out of it.

> I was thinking of finding someone from a business school to look for
> money and to manage the project on a daily basis. While it is always a
> bit tricky to mix open source with money, I think that we can manage
> it. In the worst case, the business part collapses and Glob2 still
> make progresses.

Lets talk about it this weekend. "Just for fun" is not an option for me.
I need to get a business running within 9 months. Plan was to do
something around Android but if a FOSS project like glob2 also has the
potential to provide my income, I would prefer that.

Regards,

Leo