[glob2-devel] hi

From: whereis Mykake
Subject: [glob2-devel] hi
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:50:45 -0500

Hi friends,

I am very new to the gaming world. Been in IT for more than 15 years, but never in to Games.
Also i am new to open source project.
I am mainly in to scripting languages, but got in to c++ about 6 months back. C++ is amazing. It fits to my personality. I was looking in to c++ good medium size open source project on Linux and i found glob2.

Amazing game. It has most of the things i was looking for.
Exactly: No heavy graphics, strategy based, AI driven, no micromanagement, c++ specific, OO driven, and Linux.

Just curious to know how active this project is from development point of view.
also how much active glob2 on ysagoon server?
Even if it is abandoned, I can still learn a lot by browsing through the code. It is bit harder without support. either way, thanks to all the developers and other contributors who did a fantastic work.

Foe those who want more info:
I want to develop stock market simulation, back testing engine, strategy performance analysis, fully automated order entry management in C++ and linux. I have already every thing that I need is developed in non c++ and in windows environment. It is fully functional. It is based on array processing. Still extremely fast for retail trading. But High frequency Trading wise, it is just not there. From software specifications wise: everything is clear, done and functional. with c++, it can not get the help of wide c++ optimization algorithmic support, libraries and so on.
Linux, multithreading, c++ can get me there with speed.

Unfortunately there is not a single c++/Linux/Active open source project out there, which will be doing the market analysis, like i want. (obvious reasons) I still think, glob2 is an excellent starting point for me as it is easier in a game to: 1. Understand what exactly we are trying to achieve here. Scope of work is much clear. 2. How it is achieved using the programming language (C++) and concepts (OO).

Once i know how it is done in glob2, i can take the same knowledge and apply to the financial analysis project in my mind.
Hope i am not on a wrong track of thinking here.

Any comments/guidance from experienced c++ developers are appreciated. (I have just 6 months in to c++. :-))

Regards,
wimk.