glug-nith-discuss

[Glug-nith-discuss] Regarding Edgy keyboard problems

From: Vivek Shah
Subject: [Glug-nith-discuss] Regarding Edgy keyboard problems
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 20:24:00 +0530

Hello,
      Edgy Eft and keyboard problems are going hand in hand for a long time but
I found out that it is not so as far as I found out...Just 2 days ago I install
edgy 6.10 (i386) on my friend Shishir's laptop... I initially had installed the
64 bit one on his HP laptop which has AMD64 Turion processor but strnagely the
pc was damn slow so Itried out the 32 bit version and lo!! it working great...

Ok coming back to the keyboard.... I guess the trick was done by the keyboard
detection stage which we mostly skip but I went for keyboard detection and
followed the keyboard sequence it asked me to give... I had come to know in the
#ubuntu channel in irc that during keyboard detection it asks you enter keys so
if multiple keys are present like m,n,w when it asks you to enter one of them
kindly follow the asking sequence left to right ie the key which appears
leftmost in the keys being asked to be pressed, press that key before thinking
twice on others......

After this the install will proceed as usual and do use vim and not vi for vi
has gone major reforms and in vim all the usual insert keys do work.....and
also in firfox Ctrl-T works for new tab.................
I didnt find any discrepancies with keyboard in the distro... do look in to it

Cheerio,
Vivek