gluster-devel

[Gluster-devel] replication client or server side

From: Vincent Régnard
Subject: [Gluster-devel] replication client or server side
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 14:45:52 +0200

Hi all,

I am presently re-thinking the way we are using glusterfs 1.3.5 here. We
are doing replication (*3 with 3 bricks) on client side to produce a
small HA cluster. We are planning to extend the brick number. Drawing
that again and looking at some examples on the wiki doing it another way
(Kritical's tutorial), we are wondering wether doing the replication
(AFR) on the server side (glusterfsd) would be more suitable than doing
it on the client side ? Have you any experience or remark on that ? Does
this have performance impact in your opinion ?

If replication is transfered to server side, we'll have to use
unification on client side to achive HA (and then obtain active
self-heal?). Is this latter configuration reasonable ?

Present configuration:

Client stack:   FUSE
                PERFORMANCE TRANSLATORS (write-b/io-cache/io-thread)
                AFR
                CLIENT TRANSPORT

Server stack:   SERVER TRANSPORT
                PERFORMANCE TRANSLATOR (io-thread)
                POSIX LOCKS FEATURE
                POSIX STORAGE

Planned configuration:

Client stack:   FUSE
                PERFORMANCE TRANSLATORS (write-b/io-cache/io-thread)
                UNIFY
                CLIENT TRANSPORT

Server stack:   SERVER TRANSPORT
                PERFORMANCE TRANSLATOR (io-thread)