gluster-devel

Re: [Gluster-devel] Improvements in Quota Translator

From: Anand Avati
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Improvements in Quota Translator
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 12:06:08 -0700

On Apr 10, 2013, at 6:10 AM, Jeff Darcy <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Since XFS doesn't allow hard links across directory tree quota
>> boundaries - we get EXDEV, it would prevent gluster from creation
>> ".glusterfs" directory entries. So Gluster quota does both accounting
>> and enforcing of quota.
>
> Well, that's certainly an unfortunate consequence of using links instead
> of a log to track dirty files.  :(  One more reason to undo that damage,
> I suppose, but that's a different thread.

The problem here is with the gfid hard links (for providing stable file
handles). Index uses hard links from an internal backing file which is also
created within .glusterfs - the actual dirty files are never linked into index.
While we do want to make index use a different format, it is completely
unrelated (in fact not a problem at all) to the XFS quota issue - which is
linking of true files into .glusterfs for providing stable file handles.

Avati