Re: [Gm2] Gnu modula-2 should be ISO compliant.

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] Gnu modula-2 should be ISO compliant.
Date: 01 Jun 2003 15:11:11 +0100

Pierre writes:

> Come on, don't fool yourself.
> ISO modula-2 is a big step forward.
> Precise semantics, I/O library, by themselves
> are enough to make the distinction.
     ^^
     not

is "not" missing here?

> A GNU product should be ISO compliant.
> PIM is not enough.

point taken, and there was a straw poll taken last June which
indicated that gm2 should become an ISO compiler.

The plan is to produce a PIM compliant compiler initially.  Then to
extend it to encompass ISO features, ISO libraries and thereafter turn
it into an ISO compliant compiler. I didn't label ISO compliance as an
objective on the web site as this is indeed a big step forward. This
will change now :-)

Incidentally I think that all PIM (compiler) features have been
implemented.  I was mapping a route which allowed gm2 to gather the
fruit on the lower branches before picking from the top of the tree..

The low level fruit include:

   getting ISO SYSTEM implemented and debugged.
   implementing PIM SYSTEM coroutines using pthreads.
   further extensions to GDB (to allow `print VAL(ARRAY OF CHAR,
somevariable)').
   making gm2 compile the Mocka libraries
   fixing optimisation
   fixing cross compiler support and testing
   placing the tests into dejagnu format
   more bug fixing
   making gm2 build on a case insensitive filesystem (MacOS and NT etc)

if anyone has other killer wishes please add to the list and if anyone
wishes to undertake any of these activities, please drop me an email
so duplicate work can be avoided..

Gaius