Re: [Gm2] latest fixes to gm2

From: Izo
Subject: Re: [Gm2] latest fixes to gm2
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 09:32:19 +0200

Gaius Mulley wrote:

  *  the -Wunbounded-by-reference and -Wverbose-unbounded.
     Here is the extract from gm2.texi
----
enable optimization of unbounded parameters by attempting to pass non
@code{VAR} unbounded parameters by reference.  This optimization
avoids the implicit copy inside the callee procedure. GNU Modula-2
will only allow unbounded parameters to be passed by reference if,
inside the callee procedure, they are not written to, no address is
calculated on the array and it is not passed as a @code{VAR}
parameter.  Note that it is possible to write code to break this
optimization, therefore this option should be used carefully.
For example it would be possible to take the address of an array, pass
the address and the array to a procedure, read from the array in
the procedure and write to the location using the address parameter.

Due to the dangerous nature of this option it is not enabled
when the -O option is specified.
Gaius, I do not understand really the reason for the use of this option. What situation can it be useful in ?

----

* nearly finished ISO SYSTEM
Glad to see this. I've not been around for a while since my project is in one of its peaks, but I am certainly going to return to GM2 and use it in case it supports various gcc versions not only the single one as it is the case now (or I am wrong?), and of course, if it is prepared to be built to cross-compile to various targets. Right now I am using the XDS-C and it is pain to debug. From the point I am now at I have two options - complete C++ rewrite of the existing M2 code or GM2.

And I've got two questions:

1. What about the .so support ? Is there provided the main body for _fini and _init ? 2. Debugging formats - does the GM2 emit the dwarf-2 and stabs+ or it just depends on the gcc version used ?

Iztok