[Gm2] Re: Over-aggressive Optimizations with gcc 4.1.1

From: John O Goyo
Subject: [Gm2] Re: Over-aggressive Optimizations with gcc 4.1.1
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:36:40 -0400

Greetings:

Gaius Mulley wrote:
John O Goyo <address@hidden> writes:

Greetings:

I am trying gm2 with gcc 4.1.1 under Solaris 10 on Sparc (ilp32).  As
Gaius said, gm2 builds, most of check-gm2 passes, gm2.paranoid fails,
and it installs (except the man page).  However, optimization does
some bizarre things.

Witness.

[...]
Also thanks for reporting that 4.1.1 and gm2 builds on Solaris 10.
This is the first time I've heard this combination - and it gets as
far as my LP64 Athlon GNU/Linux (different endianness iirc).

I see the same results using 4.1.1 on Solaris 10 with i32lp64 with the usual extra test failures on adding addresses. (As a side note, I find that trying to build gm2 with i32lp64 with my resident gcc-3.x fails with the gm2 libraries compiled into ELF32. However, if I build gcc-4.1.1 first and then build gm2 with gcc-4.1.1, the gm2 libraries are correctly compiled into ELF64. I do not understand what happens here. The only difference in the configuration options is adding gm2 to the languages.)

Sincerely,
john

regards,
Gaius