Re: [Gm2] ncurses (also: what about swig)

From: Dragiša Durić
Subject: Re: [Gm2] ncurses (also: what about swig)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 09:27:35 +0100

If you're clean slated there, it's best not to involve yourself with ncurses :).

My recommendation would be Gtk+. Writing  definition modules for Gtk+ is easier
route than implementing/using ncurses support.

Qt is another option, but being C++ it is probably harder to bind to Modula-2.
SWiG, though, is one possibly interesting route. gm2 is able to generate SWIG
interface definitions, and I am curious about other way - can we (SWIG being
very formal and all) generate Modula-2 definitions from SWIG? SWIG site does
not mention gm2 yet.

Gtk+ is event driven but nothing like Windows event "driveness". You start main
loop, but not to get events from it and put them through giant case statements.
Both Gtk+ and Qt are callback based - you create your event handling procedures
and decorate widget tree with them. From there on, as long as you follow
moderately simple guidelines, it is all automagic. And it's multiplatform, it
even works on OSX.