Re: [Gm2] ISO Modula-2 text filter examples available now on Google Code

From: Carl Glassberg
Subject: Re: [Gm2] ISO Modula-2 text filter examples available now on Google Code
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 19:05:40 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings:

I have renamed 2 of the text-filters:

  ISOFilter3 is renamed: ShowEOL;
  ISOFilter10 is renamed: CharToOctal

I have finished creating a "regression test" version of 1 of the text-filters,
not yet posted to Google Code.

But you should be aware of the following:

1) I am only using RawIO.Read (not RawIO.Write). Writing will be in text mode
only.

2) The output file must not already exist or the program terminates
with error msg: "Error: failed to create (new) file for output: "...

3) The "regression test" program is also a console-application but, unlike a
text-filter, it is interactive. It is definitely not a "text-filter" in the
sense discussed in "The Unix Programming Environment" (KERNIGHAN & PIKE)
(section on text-filters). The text-filter examples use stdin/stdout and O/S
redirection and, if there are command line arguments, they are only input
filenames (never output filenames).

4) Filenames (both input and output) are interactively prompted-for and the
program loops until the user hits <Enter> to exit or a file open or create
fails. This "feature" will allow more than one set of input/output filenames to
be processed by the same program, if desired, without having to retype the
command to run it again.

I am probably forgetting some point or another...

So far I have successfully created one "regression test" version and it seems
to work ok subject to the above (4) limitations.

Let me know if the above items 1) to 4) are acceptable in a "regression test"
program that you can use.

The "regression test" version should still produce the same output as the
text-filter version given the same text-file input, even if the design has to
be different due to the RawIO.

I do really appreciate your feedback on the text filter project.

Are you in Canada?
I am in San Diego.

Sincerely
Carl Glassberg