[Gm2] migrating from cvs to git on savannah

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: [Gm2] migrating from cvs to git on savannah
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 06:49:59 +0100

Hi,

I know this has been discussed before - but I'm still keen to migrate
from cvs to git on savannah.  I was wondering if there are any
objections?  As I see it the killer features git provides are:

   (i)   the ability to commit multi file changes in one operation.  So
         it should be easier to track down bugs via git history.
         git bisect will be very useful.
   (ii)  it appears more efficient.
   (iii) more git operations can be achieved without network access.

Those of us using scripts with cvs commands shouldn't have too many
changes as there is a cvs compatibility command, which would look like this:

cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/gm2.git co -d gm2 master

there is a readable web page here explaining how git relates to projects
on savannah:

http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/UsingGit

It does appear that the conversion would preserve all the cvs log and
commit history and both branches

regards,
Gaius