Re: [Gm2] How do I use the git repository to build?

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] How do I use the git repository to build?
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 10:42:52 +0000

john o goyo <address@hidden> writes:

> On 12/08/13 08:15, Gaius Mulley wrote (in part):
> [...]
>> There after the git-repository/gm2/gcc-versionno/configure can be
>> configured (note this comes from the vanilla gcc and is not part of
>> gm2).
>
> I do not understand this.  Why run a copy of configure from that
> directory and not the one in the gcc directory?

Hi John,

the git-repository/gm2/gcc-versionno/configure will be the top level
configure in the gcc-4.7.3 tree.  There are configure scripts at various
other directories of course but they are configured during the build
process itself.

I've updated the file:  git-repository/gm2/README to include an ascii
diagram of the tree summary, included here to hopefully show the
relationship between gm2 git tree and gcc tree structure.

Git Source Tree Layout
======================

Here is a diagram summarising the layout of this source tree

             +------[gm2]----------+---------+
            /         |             \         \
           /          |              \         \
[gm2-harness]   [gcc-versionno]   README   combine-trees
   |                  |
   |                  |
  "etc"             [gcc]--------------+
                      |                 \
                      |                  \
                    [gm2]             [testsuite]
                     /  \                  \
                    /    \                  \
  "etc"    [gm2-libs]    [gm2-compiler]    [gm2]

This tree should be overlaid on top of a gcc source tree which in
summary looks like this:

                 [gcc-4.7.3]

                +---[gcc]----+
               /      |       \
              /       |        \
     [fortran]    [c-family]    [testsuite]-------+
                                 \                 \
                                  \                 \
                                  [c-c++-common]    [lib]

To produce a tree looking like this:

              +------[gm2]----------+---------+
             /         |             \         \
            /          |              \         \
 [gm2-harness]   [gcc-versionno]   README   combine-trees
    |                  |
[fortran] [c-family] [gm2]             [testsuite]--+-----------+
  "etc"    [gm2-libs]     [gm2-compiler] [gm2] [c-c++-common] [lib]

regards,
Gaius