Re: [Gm2] Still struggling with gm2-4.7.3 on Solaris/sparc

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] Still struggling with gm2-4.7.3 on Solaris/sparc
Date: Fri, 09 May 2014 11:42:30 +0100

john o goyo <address@hidden> writes:

> The build is currently failing with gm2-2014-04-20. (It fails trying
> to link stage1/gm2/cc1gm2.)
>
> Leaving aside gcc-4.7.3 for a bit, I tried building with Sun C
> 5.12. (After all, the GCC docs do claim that any ANSI-compliant
> compiler works.)  Configure seems to become easily confused with the
> 32/64-bit options.  For the source to be compiled in 64-bit mode
> consistently required environment variables such as CC="cc -m64",
> CXX="CC -m64", and so on.  Even then, many source files were compiled
> in 32-bit mode. (Configure may pay lip-service to other compilers but
> the builds do not seem to work properly without gcc.)  I gave up.
>
> I do not understand why earlier builds succeeded and now fail.  (Mind,
> had one of my developers complained to me about this, I would have
> suggested that something in the environment had changed.  I do not
> know what.  I have a dedicated build account that stays constant.)
>
> It does appear that configure is confused about the 32/64-bit
> dichotomy. Solaris/sparc code typically appears in both versions (with
> the 32-bit versions in $LIB and the 64-bit versions in $LIB/64, where
> LIB is the appropriate directory).  Specifying sparcv9 should trigger
> 64-bit compilation but sometimes it does not.
>
> So I am starting de nuovo, building gcc-4.7.3 (and required helpers)
> in both configurations, and then moving on to gm2.  I will keep the
> group posted.

Hi John,

thanks for the report - it is interesting as I'm seeing architectural
build problems on my x86_64 debian system.  Ie 32 bit objects in a 64
bit library! - so hopefully they are the same bug.  I'm also rewriting
libgm2/configure.ac and libgm2/Makefile.am (new file) which address the
cross compile and also hopefully the problem that we are seeing,

regards,
Gaius