Re: [Gm2] legacy gm2

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] legacy gm2
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 13:05:34 +0100

Noam Kloos <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Modula2 users and developers.
> Since I have a domain of 20+ various platform servers where I
> installed gm2 on
> they have the version GNU Modula-2  1.0.5
>
> As I am not writing that much of code I haven't come across missing or
> broken features.
> My question is if there is many changed since this version?
>
> Regards,
> Noam.

Hi Noam,

I'd stick with 1.0.5 for the time being.  The changes are largely
internal and restructuring the building of libraries.  Majority of
effort since 1.0.5 has gone into grafting it onto gcc-4.7.

However once this passes all regression tests - then sure upgrade
as it appears that -O3 is reliable and also -fm2-whole-program is
yielding 50% performance improvement on some tests.

On Debian Wheezy the regression test failures are 60 (out of 9600), so
the end is in sight - on this platform...

regards,
Gaius