Re: [Gnash-dev] how to handle hash_map

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] how to handle hash_map
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 12:57:55 -0700

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

I recently gave up supporting VC++ and started distributing a windows
ZIP file containing MinGW compiled binaries and all the source code.
The MinGW compiled binaries are generated using the same configure
scripts and makefile used to build the project on unix.

My past experiences with VC++ haven't been good. I noticed yesterday when I installed WINE that it now as a "wineg++" that uses mingw to produce console applications. I'd much rather use this than VC++ if it'd work on a stock win32 system. I did manage to get VC++ (I had an old legal copy) to run via WINE from the existing Makefiles, which was interesting... But I think I prefer cross compiling using mingw.

I presume the Firefox plugin is just a DLL. If that DLL only requires
C linkage (ie no C++ name mangling) then MinGW should be fine. Linking
programs compiled with VC++ to C linkage DLLs compiled with MinGW works.

I believe it's just a DLL. The main entry points are C functions, so ideally this would work. G++ and VC++ aren't compatible at all at the object code level.

That person must also be an active developer because its surprising how
quickly the autoconf/automake based configuration can leave a stale
windows build system behind.

Yep. Things would drift less though if we can use mingw (wineg++) to build the plugin. For the standalone, I'd think that would work fine. But to really support win32 (and Darwin as well) really takes somebody that knows that platform and works on it daily to wring out all the issues. So here's looking for some volunteers! :-)