Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] Questions about trapezoids, triangle stripper etc.

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] Questions about trapezoids, triangle stripper etc.
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 18:23:32 +0200

Hello strk,

s> .gsc files are the cache of a *parsed* SWF.
s> Basically if you build the cache once you can
s> load it later to speed up procesing.

What's the real world benefit from that? Does the parsing take so much
time?

s> My current design problem with this is that for
s> bitmap_info a renderer is required, so the cache
s> is renderer-specific and cannot be created w/out
s> a registered renderer.

Because it depends on the pixel format? Shouldn't that be a cache
object just like the mesh set? This would also mean that the bitmap is
converted at play time, not parse time.

I'm currently trying to redesign the renderer without breaking
existing renderers. It does not appear much difficult.

I skip the cache part until basic rendering works. However, how do you
suggest the cache to be stored? It really seems to be the best if it
is stored in the *definition* of the character, but which would be a
clean way to store cache objects? I'd like to let the renderer decide
how the cache should look like. But I don't like to put a simple void
pointer there...

Suggestions?

Udo