Re: [Gnash-dev] First stab at fixing an OpenGL bug

From: Quinn Storm
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] First stab at fixing an OpenGL bug
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 03:32:39 -0400

On Sunday 03 June 2007 03:12:35 strk wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 03:06:04AM -0400, Quinn Storm wrote:
> > On Sunday 03 June 2007 02:59:38 strk wrote:
> > > On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 06:41:18PM -0400, Quinn Storm wrote:
> > > ..

> > > A solution would be for OpenGL backend to draw into an offscreen buffer
> > > and copy that to screen. Depending on GUI it could be done in different
> > > ways. For X-based guis, we might use a pixmap. X also has a "backing
> > > store" capability, but is not ensured to work. Anyway using a pixmap
> > > still has the advantage of more control over what's copied.
> >
> > Well unfortunately I have to shoot this idea down right here, as at least
> > on the free driver cards, there is no acceleration at all for the copy
> > that takes place in this situation so it ends up being miserably slow
> > anyhow
>
> What about drawing *both* onscreen and off-screen, so that the copy only
> occurs on expose events ?
>
> --strk;

well, there'd be two drawing contexts so you'd be switching those fairly
often, which is not a good thing...really, with all the drawbacks, I still
think the best option is to find a way to accelerate our best backend
instead, or at best, wait for newer GL drivers for the free cards that
support the various ops we'd want to make this nice and fast (render to FBO,
copy to screen, also get nice AA that way through simple supersampling)