Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] post-release task item: removing threads use

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] post-release task item: removing threads use
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 11:59:09 +0200

Hello Martin,

MG> If a 24fps video be running in a 10fps flash movie, won't you need a
MG> 120ticks-per-second (or rather lowest common multiple t-p-s?
MG> I would have thought a free-running thread doing the video was
MG> favourite for this.

MM doesn't take the lowest common multiple, but instead seems to
quadruple the nominal FPS. In your case that would be virtually 40 fps
/ not really constant frame refresh. Don't know much about video
decoding in Gnash, but do we really need an extra thread to do
asynchroneous video decoding? I'd expect to simply advance video
frames until the correct frame has been reached (ie. decode multiple
video frames while rendering only one new Flash frame when late, or
not decoding anything when early).

MG> At present, as far as I understand it, there is just a 1/FPS-second sleep
in the
MG> main GUI routine, synched off SDL ticks or off gettimeofday()
MG> depending which GUI.

Correct.

MG> How is the high-FPS video running in lower-FPS SWF case handled by the
MG> current renderers?

All renderers use nominal FPS rate (from the SWF). But this must be
handled by the core as that's what tells the renderers the real FPS
rate.

Udo