Re: [Gnash-dev] configure malfunction detecting pthreads with configure

From: Eric Hughes
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] configure malfunction detecting pthreads with configure
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:35:30 -0600

At 01:32 PM 10/28/2007, Bastiaan Jacques wrote:
-  *mingw*)
+  *mingw* | *cygwin*)
     pthread_flags="-mthreads"

This works insofar as it goes. It does get rid of the annoying -Kthread "unknown option" messages. Thanks, and committed.

There are other problems, however. The problem is with the following lines in pthreads.m4:
  for i in $libslist; do
if test -f $i/libpthread.a -o -f $i/libpthread.${shlibext} -o -f $i/libpthread.dylib; then
      pthreads=yes

Cygwin has /usr/lib/libpthread.a (that's on the cygwin file system), but it's not a MinGW library, it's the cygwin one. MinGW does not come with pthreads by default and I haven't installed it. What does seem clear is that $libslist is a likely culprit, rather than anything particularly specific in pthreads.m4. I don't know enough about the libraries and their layout to know what the right and good solution is.

The larger issue is that in an ideal world the whole pthreads test could be skipped entirely in this instance. I understand from Rob that it's there to ensure that the Boost Thread library links correctly, as it uses pthreads on *x platforms for its implementation there, but not for all platforms. From what I can tell at this moment, Boost.Thread on MinGW uses native Win32 threads *instead* of pthreads (as does MSVC), but I'm working with inadequate documentation. All gnash dependencies on pthreads were replaced with Boost threads a few months ago, so pthreads has become a conditional dependency in the interim.

Eric