[Gnash-dev] Re: Gnash-dev Digest, Vol 28, Issue 8

From: zou lunkai
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re: Gnash-dev Digest, Vol 28, Issue 8
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 09:33:20 +0800

> Actually, I think we should take the opportunity to resolve some
>ambiguity with regards to the word "world". In the renderer, I believe
>it's used to convert various coordinate systems (e.g. SWF def.) to renderer
>coordinates and vice versa. So (I think) world here means coordinates in
>TWIPS, with renderer matrix applied. However, in libgeometry, I believe
>world means something different namely, in a Range2d world means "contains
>all possible points". In the character class, there are the
>get_world_{matrix,cxform} methods and I don't know what world means in
>that context.

Agree, it's also confusing to me. Propose some new names:

// get the transformation matrix defined for this character(eg. matrix
defined in
// PlaceObject tags)
getLocalTransformationMatrix()

// get the color transformation matrix defined for this character(eg.
matrix defined in
// PlaceObject tags)
getLocalCxform()

// get the global transformation matrix for this character(the
concatenated matrix
// from local to all its parents)
getGlobalTransformationMatrix()

// get the global color matrix for this character(the concatenated matrix
// from local to all its parents)
getGlobalCxform()

// get the stage matrix required for mapping characters calculated
from SWF to GUI
getStageMatrix()

The problem for "world" is that it is a too general word, thus you can
assign it random meanings according to your own background
knowledge(not from Flash directly). When the meaning is not so obvious
to the others, it just confuses people.

--zou