Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash (Flash) for next system.

From: zou lunkai
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash (Flash) for next system.
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:31:46 +0800

>> benefit from a "remove Boost usage from Gnash" bounty, first.  I'd
>> support that financially: Boost and C++ in general has no place in
>> portable software development, period.

I agree that using boost would make gnash less portable.  Many
compilers does not support boost  well.  And boost has various
versions, older versions are likely less portable according to my
experience.

>  Um, as parts of Boost are becoming parts of the C++ libstdc++
>library, this isn't accurate. We have very light usage of boost, mostly
>just a few typedefs and thread support. It would be entirely possible to
>use glib instead, but you'll have the same problems on win32 as you do
>with Boost. I do find boost drives me crazy sometimes when porting
>Gnash, bjam truly sucks as a build system, and boost barely cross compiles.

For gnash, boost was mainly for fast prototype.  I guess many of them
could be dropped in later code refactory steps.

--zou