[Gnash-dev] What compiler to use for SWFv9 test cases?

From: Tom Stellard
Subject: [Gnash-dev] What compiler to use for SWFv9 test cases?
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 17:52:18 +0800

I want to create some test cases to test AVM2, and I think the easiest
way to start is to try and compile the current SWFv8 actionscript test
cases with an Actionscript 3 compiler.  I have two options for doing
this.  One would be to use the Flex mxmlc compiler from Adobe.  The
advantage of mxmlc is that I would not need to modify the current
actionscript files in order to compile them.  The disadvantage of
using mxmlc is that it adds another dependency to Gnash, and I am not
sure how the developers of Gnash feel about using an Adobe compiler as
part of the testsuite.  The other option would be to use the Haxe
complier, which is already used for the only SWFv9 testcase.  The
disadvantage of this is that I would need to write a script to convert
the current actionscript files into Haxe's language before compiling
them.  I have looked into doing this a little bit, and I don't think
it will be too hard to do.  The advantage of using Haxe is that no new
dependencies need to be added.  Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks.

-Tom