[Gnash-dev] Re: OLPC 767 Gnash 0.8.3 + Flash developer perspective

From: strk
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re: OLPC 767 Gnash 0.8.3 + Flash developer perspective
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 17:38:53 +0200

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 11:11:09AM -0400, Bobby Powers wrote:

> I agree that AS3, Flex and AVM2 are quite nice.  There is a branch of
> Gnash with growing support for Flash 9, but it has basically one
> person hacking on it I believe; strk should be able to set the record
> straight if I'm wrong.

You're right, there's an AVM2 branch being worked on.
Won't be ready soon, and will not be as fast as Carlos would expect
initially (no JIT compiler).
We might put more efforts there, but why, when there's lot of <=SWF8
content that still doesn't play ? It's so much easier to find <=SWF8
content, and it's SO MUCH easier for a free software flash developer
to produce (only HaXE and flex can output SWF9 atm, a lot more tools
for previous versions).

> Rob Savoye is the maintainer of Gnash and has been involved with OLPC
> in the past, but I'm sure SJ and the Contributer's program would LOVE
> to get XOs to any other interested Gnash dev for testing and
> profiling.

I've been having an XO right here for almost an year now, but
couldn't handle to consider it a priority really... The only XO
specific thing is likely performance, any other thing needs packaging
skills, so it seems you can do far better then me there.
As for performance, I'm still considering it lower priority then
correctness, as Gnash is still in beta stage.
In any case, when an SWF author detects bad performances we can help
with both suggesting improvements in the code and in making Gnash better.
We've been doing that for movies w/out being in touch with authors and
w/out even being so much interested for the comment (sometimes it's just
obvious that gnash is doing something wrong...).