Re: [Gnash-dev] sound_handler redesign status

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] sound_handler redesign status
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 18:20:47 +0100

On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 12:11:56PM -0500, Dossy Shiobara wrote:
> strk wrote:
> > The deliverable for the final cleanup would be a NullSoundHandler
> > providing manual samples fetching functionality, to allow fully
> > predictable data flow for the testing framework.
>
> Does this also mean that Gnash could possibly be built without SDL as a
> requirement?

Sure, but need to find a replacement.. Last time GST was attempted it
was not being bended into the sound_handler design, but taking its own
path instead (IIRC). Would be nice to see a GST implementaion once the
desing settles, and of course would be best to have someone think about
it *while* the design settles, so we can change whatever is needed to
make the bending easier.

> Once the interface is sufficiently cleaned and decoupled, it would be
> nice to see the sound handler be dlopen'ed, perhaps controlled by
> runtime configuration.

Yes!
Beside, this is already possible with MediaHandler, if anyone wants
to try it.