Re: [Gnash-dev] www.weebls-stuff.com, MP3 problem

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] www.weebls-stuff.com, MP3 problem
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 07:42:06 +0100

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 01:11:24AM +0000, Martin Sidaway wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 8:17 AM, strk <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 04:54:49AM +0000, Martin Sidaway wrote:

> > > gnash seems to keep the old copy of the looping sound playing when the
> > movie
> > > restarts.
> >
> > Restarts by gotoFrame or by manual restart request ?
>
> I just meant when it restarts automatically at the end of the movie (neither
> gotoFrame tag nor manual restart)

If the sound is still looping, I confirm gnash doesn't force its stop.
Is it required behaviour to stop even if looping is not over ?

> To clarify: I didn't mean that the momentary pause was a problem, just that
> it was odd that it paused sound completely at first, then brought the old
> sound back in. As if it was bringing the old sound back in "by accident"
> along with the new one. However, I now think the momentary pause probably is
> a separate bug - see below.

The pause might be due to the time it takes to initialize an AudioDecoder
and to decode the first block, which is done for each instance of sounds.
Try ffmpeg and see if it makes a difference, IIRC the gst backend had
a bad performance problem with resampling.

> > > I created my own looping-MP3 swfs using Ming, to see if I got the same
> > > behaviour, and strangely, my SWFs have the probem in both gnash *and* in
> > the
> > > adobe player (i.e. where the old copy overlaps with the new copy). It is
> > > difficult to see how the adobe player manages to "differentiate" between
> > the
> > > two sets of swf files.
> >
> > The StartSound tag has a 'no-sync-multiple' flag. When on, the tag doens't
> > start a new sound if an old (of same definition) is already playing.
> > I don't think Gnash implements that, but should not be hard to fix
> > currently.
>

> That's funny, because the file I'm having the contradictory behaviour with
> (pie.swf) has noMultiple="0" on all of the StartSound tags (the same as my
> generated files).

Then it could be it is NOT a requirement to stop looping sounds
on restart. Go on with the custom testcase, and please file a bug
if you find different behaviour from adobe's, attaching the testcases.

If you feel brave, see testsuite/misc-ming.all/eventSoundTest1.c
and check if you can add something there. That test is run by
testsuite/misc-ming.all/eventSoundTest1Runner (built from the .cpp)

> However, I do still have the problem of periods of silence in the output.
> These pauses seem to occur wherever there is a StartSound tag.

This could be performance issues in either the sound handler
or the media handler, or it could be an unimplemented offset start
(ie: the StartSound may request to start some seconds after the real
start). Please check that with an SWF dumper.