[Gnash-dev] Trunk gnash can't play AAC audio via gstreamer?

From: John Gilmore
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Trunk gnash can't play AAC audio via gstreamer?
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 14:58:40 -0800

I was looking at Youtube videos, and found this one:

  "YOUTUBE HACK: How to watch OLDER VIDEOS in Higher Quality on YouTube!"
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27mb_AyzGyQ&feature=related

It reports how to get a higher quality video by adding "&fmt=18" to
the end of the URL, as in:

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27mb_AyzGyQ&feature=related&fmt=18

Indeed this works somewhat.  The stream with &fmt=18 is now H.264 / AVC,
with MPEG-4 AAC Audio.  Without, it's something else that my totem can't
play and thus won't report on the codecs of.

The interesting part is that the &fmt=18 stream doesn't have any audio
when played in Gnash.  But when I play the saved stream in totem, the
audio works fine.  Apparently gnash isn't finding the installed AAC
codec, even though gstreamer finds it without trouble.

This is with trunk as of two days ago.

        John