[Gnash-dev] gnashing teeth

From: Howard Chu
Subject: [Gnash-dev] gnashing teeth
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 01:48:49 -0800

Along the lines of this complaint
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnash-dev/2009-02/msg00054.html
gnash was printing its silly "parsing file" message to *stdout* and not to stderr, which was extremely annoying. (In 0.8.4, haven't checked current source yet.)

And while playing with this
http://linuxcentre.net/hulu-possibly-accessible-again-soon/#comments

I had to go through a number of contortions to make it all work. Took at least 4 runs of configure and two compiles before I figured out I needed to --enable-extensions=FILEIO and --enable-debugger, buried among all the other build errors/warnings I was getting. (E.g., it said "you can ignore these errors" for missing libgif, libjpeg, etc., which was false, those were fatal errors for the build.)

I'd like to request that a neutered FILEIO be enabled by default - specifically, allow printf/puts by default. Also, I'd like fscommand("quit") to always be allowed by default. I don't see how this is a security liability... (OK, maybe not direct exposure of stdio, but if you want gnash and ActionScript to actually be useful in a generic Linux environment, you've got to make it capable of behaving well in a standard pipeline. That means being able to read from stdin, and write to stdout/stderr in the default build. And it has to be able to exit when its work is done.)
--
  -- Howard Chu