Re: [Gnash-dev] profiling and performance

From: Steve Castellotti
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] profiling and performance
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 13:23:10 +1300

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 17:12 -0700, Bastiaan Jacques wrote:
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Steve Castellotti wrote:

>    Is there a particular rendering engine for Gnash which is known to
> have better performance than others - AGG, OpenGL, or something else?

AGG is the fastest software renderer available to Gnash. Rendering
*might* be faster with OpenGL if you have the appropriate hardware, but
our OpenGL renderer still does a lot of work in software.

    Ok, certainly good to know.

    Does OpenGL just fall back to AGG for the pieces which it doesn't support? In other words, if by using OpenGL can I assume the bits which are supported by hardware acceleration will be accelerated, and the bits which are not will run just as fas as they would under AGG?

    Also, any tips or material which would help in the actual design of the SWFs themselves? I am attempting to use Gnash in a kiosk-style environment, in which there is complete control from original creative (the SWF) on down to the final display system.

    I haven't seen a lot of documentation on how to best design and produce SWFs to be run under Gnash as most of the work seems to be around modifying Gnash to suit existing SWFs (such as YouTube's video player).

Thanks again

Steve