Re: [Gnash-dev] RMTPE specification

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] RMTPE specification
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 20:11:43 +0000

whoops re-posted cos i sent from wrong email address.

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 8:02 PM, Rob Savoye <address@hidden> wrote:
> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> Here is a cleanroom specification of RTMPE which has been documented
>> from rtmpdump v1.6 source code.  updates will be at:
>> http://lkcl.net/rtmp/RTMPE.txt
>
>  Actually Gnash also now has an RTMP server called Cygnal. It was
> released as an alpha with the Gnash 0.8.5 release. The next Gnash
> release will have full RTMP* support,

 _great_.

> which is now working in my 'rtmp'
> branch on Savannah.

 ah that's fantastic - was tracking that and found it wasn't quite
working, six months or so ago.  that's _really_ good news.

> Unlike the other RTMP servers, Cygnal has a swf VM
> builtin for server side ActionScript, since we conveniently have one in
> Gnash I can use.

 excellent - that will be particularly interesting to see.

 well i'm interested in having something _other_ than red5, because i
really don't like java.

 will you be planning to call out to other dynamic languages at some
point (e.g. python, ruby) ?

 if there's a way to do real-time video chat (like red5 can) in cygnal
then that's a _major_ milestone.

 btw i trust that you've found that implementing both the client and
the server at the same time allows you to bootstrap up _much_ quicker
than if you just did client or just did server.  you may also find
that implementing a sniffer (wireshark plugin?) at the same time also
helps, although i'd found when doing MSRPC reverse-engineering that
massively verbose debug output substitutes for that need, anyway.

l.