[Gnash-dev] Non-blocking load of bitmaps ready for test

From: strk
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Non-blocking load of bitmaps ready for test
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 11:35:36 +0100

Hi all,
you may have noticed the commits about non-blocking loads.
This is a call for testing that.

In particular, the aim of the task was to make Openstreetmap [1]
editing more pleasing with Gnash/potlatch [2].
Note that potlatch is free software which is built using free software
tools [3]; so we do want it to also *run smooth* on free software :)

Before the commit turning background (base) map on would have
resulted in GUI blocking during loads. Now you should see tiles
popping-up as soon as loaded w/out making the GUI unresponsible
(right-click menu, redraw on exposure, custom cursor following your
mouse, editing still possible).

My commits have made all unblocking related to loads, removing also the
bits due to name resolution and socket creation. This has been done
for both bitmaps and SWF movies. Also, I've turned fully unblocking the
load of variables/XML.

Theoretically it should be now possible to also drop the blockage on
first-most movie (ie: rather than construct the gnash stage passing it
a movie_definition we could file a request to load an url into _level0
and draw a window immediately). This would also mean a File->load()
operation should be feasible now (modulo reentrant VM...).

Happy testing

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potlatch
[3] http://www.libming.org

--strk;

 Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!