[Gnash-dev] git repository for release

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: [Gnash-dev] git repository for release
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 16:03:19 -0600

Since somebody noticed, I thought I'd announce a slightly experimental
git repository for Gnash on savannah. I'm not going to go into a long
explanation of bzr performance problems as currently implemented on
savannah other than it's often painfully slow, and there is no web based
browser. After over a year of trying, it's become obviously lately the
changes of getting the problems fixed was just not going to happen
anytime soon.

So at that point it was either move to launchpad, which has a better bzr
server setup, or switch to git, which is setup well on savannah. Since
all of our existing bug reports, patches, etc.., are on savannah, and
it's the FSF sponsored host, it seemed better to try git.

So there is now a repo at http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnash.git.
I'm currently using it for the release branch, and the Git master is in
sync with bzr. I found some great utilities for using git and bzr
together, so used http://github.com/termie/git-bzr-ng to import
everything and to keep them in sync incrementally.

I've also found there is a bzr-git, which lets you use bzr commands in
git. So anyway, I figured we might as well play with git, since I can
keep the two repos in sync for a while, and they're pretty similar.

Two things I have noticed, the web interface for git is pretty good, and
git is nice and fast. So anyway, I thought we'd use it for the release
branch as a test.

btw, bzr is tagged for with release_0_8_8_start, and I have a local bzr
branch as well in addition to the git one for the release.