[Gnash-dev] Reuse of Gnash code in Lightspark

From: Timon Van Overveldt
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Reuse of Gnash code in Lightspark
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 18:19:07 +0100

 Hi,

My name is Timon Van Overveldt and I am one of the developers of Lightspark.
I am currently working on implementing ExternalInterface support.
For this, I looked at Gnash's code as a reference implementation.

I've currently implemented a "scriptable plugin object", pretty much the same way as it is implemented in Gnash. For this I used Gnash's code as a reference. Some of the code has been copy-pasted and subsequently edited, other parts I have written from scratch (while still using Gnash as a reference).

The code is available at:
https://github.com/lightspark/lightspark/tree/e-interface
The commit in question is: e4d44ab6d42eb69c2886

Having Gnash's implementation as a reference has been very helpful in understanding how to implement this functionality.

Now I was wondering about the following:
Lightspark is licensed under the LGPL3, while Gnash is licensed under GPL3.
Are you guys ok with me licensing my implementation under LGPL3?
Am I breaching the terms of the license by doing this?
If I am, please note that this is not on purpose and that I will try to resolve the situation immediately.

I am planning on using Gnash as a reference for further work on implementing ExternalInterface support. I would like to have a explicit statement about the Gnash Project's stance on this practice, so that I know once and for all what exactly are my limitations.

Thanks, both for your time and for the great help your code has been to me.

Timon Van Overveldt