[Gnash-dev] Desktop usage

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Desktop usage
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:46:13 +0100

I pushed a patch from the Fedora Gnash maintainer that aimed to make
upstream closer to Fedora's package.

The main implication seems to be that "gui/gnash" runs a splash movie
instead of printing usage. gui/gtk-gnash still prints usage.

The purpose is to allow the desktop file to be used in menus and to
enable starting movies from the desktop (e.g. by double clicking on
them).

I'm not so keen on gui/gnash not displaying usage, and other devs also
seem not to be, but:

a) the distros patch Gnash to behave like this if we don't
b) it's helpful for distros if upstream is as close to what they
distribute as possible
c) there is no other way yet suggested of having a sensible menu item
(i.e. one that really opens Gnash) but also allowing SWF files to be
opened by clicking on them.

So it seems to be a choice between keeping usage output for "gui/gnash"
on the one hand and helping distros on the other.

For future releases it would be helpful if GUIs were independent of
running as SWF, but that's not feasible right now!

What should we do? Back out (some of) the patch and leave distros to
patch themselves or make a compromise and have gui/gnash display a
splash movie?

bwy

--
Free Flash, use Gnash